Thursday, May 16, 2013

Well, it's been a long time since I made an appearance on the blogosphere, so I thought I'd post an update to let any of those who are still checking in know that I am still alive and well.  After returning from my South American adventure last December, I moved down to Burlington and resumed my studies at the University of Vermont.  While most of the kids I graduated high school with are in the final stretch of their college career, I've been gone for so long that I almost feel like a first time student.  The first week or so was a bit of an adjustment, as I seemed to have forgotten everything that I had learned in my freshman year.  I quickly caught up, and for the first time, I wasn't using every second of free time to be out training on my bike, and I was a bit confused as to what a normal twenty year old does with his free time.  Fortunately, I was not long left in a state of dazed wandering through the grocery store, looking for pasta and rice a la my bike racing days, and took the opportunity to get back into some of my interests that had been sorely neglected during my racing.  I picked up some alpine and nordic skis and a college deal ski pass relearned how to enjoy the powder.  I also got involved in the UVM outdoor club where I just finished training to be a leader for next semester, and did a fair bit of camping, snow shoeing, and even some backcountry skiing in Vermont and Mount Washington.  After the sun came out and the snow started melting, I started riding bikes a little bit, even going so far as to go to a race with the UVM cycling team.  I started doing some coaching (http://www.facebook.com/AndersNewburyCoach) and learned the best places to go dumpster diving to stretch my grocery budget as far as possible.

I finished up exams last week and am now preparing for my next adventure, which is a job with a white water rafting company out in Sun Valley, Idaho for the summer.  I'm starting my westward road trip in a couple days, and can't wait to see what the summer has in store for me!
Any way, I'm still alive and adjusting well to my new "retired" life.  Sometimes I watch a bike race on TV, and feel a bit nostalgic, especially when I see old friends and teammates racing doing well.  However, the more time passes, the more perspective that I gain, and am grateful for both the experiences that I had in my cycling life and the opportunities that are presenting themselves now.  Thanks for reading and check in soon for updates from Sun Valley!
Anders

No comments:

Post a Comment