Thursday, September 13, 2012

Season of Change

After stepping off the plane that brought me home from Belgium a few days ago, it didn't take long for me to notice the crisp smell of falling leaves and the honking of migrating geese that indicate the approach of fall.  I've always loved fall here in Vermont, as the state's landscapes, flora, and fauna dramatically transform themselves in preparation for winter.

This year, the weather isn't the only change in the air for me. While I was completing a solo racing trip in Belgium last month, I learned that my team is without a title sponsor for 2013, and I have yet to find another team for the coming season.  With a trying season behind me and an uncertain future ahead, I'm left to focus on the present.  Since sitting around and worrying about situations such as these is a fast track to insanity, I am thankful that I am leaving in a few days for an epic backpacking adventure in Colombia,  Ecuador, and Peru.  With only a departure and a return date planned, I'm hoping that everything in between will be an exciting adventure!  If I can, I'll do my best to post photos and updates of my exploits during the trip.

Change, not knowing what lies ahead, and big decisions, can all be quite scary.  I guess if there's one thing that I've learned from these past seven seasons of bike racing, it's how little of the future I can predict, and even less of it I can control.  So perhaps the best course of action is to just not worry too much and trust that it will work out in the end.  Until it does, I plan to enjoy the changes, challenges, and opportunities that this autumn brings my way. Thanks for reading!
Anders

Soaking up a sunny late summer day in Belvidere with my dog  



Training on the Muur in Geraardsbergen  
 and racing up it a few days later.


No Cliff Bars, no problem! Found this classic race food in a Belgian grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment