Thursday, December 8, 2011

winter

I'm looking out the window at the first real snow accumulation of the year here in Burlington. My rollers are sitting behind me, and I keep imagining that they have a smug look of satisfaction that today I will finally give in and do my first roller ride for the first time in over a year. Not so fast, rollers, I haven't resigned myself to hampster-wheel misery just yet. I've been known to ride through some pretty horrific conditions to post-pone stationary bike slavery.

I know that I really can't complain; I think I heard on the radio that this November was one of the warmest/driest on record, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about the return of winter.


Despite my whining (born out of the knowledge that I must ride through the frozen winterland until I resemble the Snowman of the Apocolypse), there are actually some things about winter that are amazing. Here are some of my favorites:


-Hot Chocolate (marshmellows)

-Sledding

-Christmas Cookies

-Snow Days

-Snowball fights

-Skiing


In other big news; yesterday was my last day of classes of the year here at the University of Vermont. All that's left are exams next week, and then I will be a free man. I'll be taking the spring semester off from school and travelling to Greenville, SC with some racing buddies to start getting serious about training for the upcoming season. My Chipotle team training camp should be in mid-January, and racing won't be much later.


Last weekend I went on what was likely my last excursion of the year up Mount Mansfield. With snow piling up in the mountains, school coming to an end, and a new year of racing just around the corner; all the signs point to fact that the off-season is just about over. Meaning; I need to make a choice between those three inches of slush outside and the stationary rollers sitting in the corner. First though, I think my hot chocolate is just about ready. Enjoy the season and have a Merry Christmas everybody!


Anders



No comments:

Post a Comment